Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Recipe: Low-carb almond pancakes


Wow! I never thought low-carb pancakes could be so delicious! These were absolutely amazing! I used a bit of sugar-free maple-flavoured syrup on them and was in Heaven!

This recipe is courtesy of Laura Dolson's Low Carb Diets site at About.com.

- 1 cup almond flour (= "almond meal" / "ground almonds" -- all the same thing)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder (not in the original recipe but it was suggested by someone who reviewed the recipe as a way to make the pancakes puffier - and it worked...)
- 1 tbsp low-carb sweetener (i.e. Splenda)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional - amazing!) (updated March 8, 2011)

Cook them in the usual fashion. This makes three large pancakes or six smaller ones. Just know that they won't bubble on top in the pan like "regular" pancakes do.

Simply put, these are the best pancakes I've ever had.

There are six net carbs in the entire batch.

Click on the photo for a larger version.

8 comments:

Pamela said...

What did you put on them? (low carb)

Brian Cormier said...

Sugar-free syrup, I believe.

Anonymous said...

This IS a great recipe but its not 6 grams of net carbs. its more like 10. i usually add 1/2 cup of frozen unsweetened cranberries to the recipe.

Tonya said...

These are great! I added a tsp of vanilla extract and used the sparkling water, and they did bubble for me. I'm not sure if it's the baking powder and sparkling water that did it.

It seems the total carb count is about 12 net carbs for the entire recipe, but if you can eat the whole recipe, good luck LOL! My husband and I split the six small pancakes it made, and I was personally stuffed by the time I got finished with mine.

Also, they've come a long way with the low sugar pancake syrup since I last tried some a few years ago. The syrup made them even better, but I think I could eat them plain they were so good!

KerryJ said...

I found these a bit dry - will try adding more water to thin and shorter cooking time in future I think...

Tony said...

Folks are right about the effective carb count. One cup of almond flour is 12 net carbs alone (24 total carbs - 12 fiber = 12 net carbs). Still, a pretty good carb bargain. . .

cherrychnagan said...

Kerry,
Did you add more sparkling water and did it make them fluffier. I loved the taste and will eat them again, but would like them fluffier. Used sparkling water and baking soda, but I believe next time I'll try a little more sparkling water.
Cheryl

Gayle McCracken said...

I put almond flavoring in and I love them!